Meg's Winter Warming Chicken Soup
With healing and immune-boosting ingredients, this recipe for chicken soup will warm your soul and chase away winter blues and sniffles.
1 (1.8kg) whole chicken
2.8L Chicken Stock
6 medium cloves garlic
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 large carrot (230g), diced
1 medium turnip (200g), peeled and diced
1 large leek (250g), diced (white and light green parts only)
1 large parsnip (285g), peeled and diced
2 medium celery sticks (150g), diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Finely chopped fresh dill, flat-leaf parsley, or other fresh herbs, to finish
1. Place the chicken in a large heavy-based stockpot. Wrap the bay leaf, parsley stalks and thyme in a small square of muslin and tie with kitchen string to form a pouch. Add to the pan with the water.
2. Cover and bring slowly to the boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer for 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Cook the leek, parsnip, carrot and celery for 10 mins, stirring often, until tender.
4. Transfer the vegetables to the stockpot. Simmer for a further 1 hour.
5. Remove from heat. Carefully transfer the chicken to a board (in pieces if necessary). Cool slightly, then remove and discard skin and bones. Coarsely chop the meat.
6. Return the chicken to the soup. Season. Sprinkle with parsley leaves.