2014 Cabernet Sauvignon
WINE CLUB EXCLUSIVE
The 2014 Redman Cabernet Sauvignon is made from grapes grown on vines that are over 40-years-old on the Redman family vineyards in the heart of Coonawarra. The conditions leading into the 2013 vintage were excellent, with above average winter and spring rainfall. Flowering and fruit set was impacted by cold and windy weather, which caused reduced yields. January and February were hot and dry, however, autumn was much cooler, allowing the grapes to ripen to optimum maturity.
The Cabernet Sauvignon grapes were harvested during the second week of April. The fruit showed excellent flavour and varietal definition. The grapes were mechanically harvested and crushed in the field. Initial fermentation was carried out in open concrete fermenting tanks and the cap was hand plunged twice a day. One third of the wine was run off into new French oak hogsheads, where fermentation was completed. The balance of the wine completed fermentation on skins, and was then transferred to barrels. The wine was bottled, in February 2016, after 18 months ageing in French oak hogsheads.
- Colour: dark red with purple tints.
- Bouquet: the aroma exhibits violets, cassis, dark berry fruit with overtones of oak.
- Palate: the mid-weight palate shows excellent flavour and structure with rich fruit and fine grained tannins. The finish is long and flavoursome. A classic Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon exhibiting elegance with excellent flavour and structure.
- Best Cabernet Sauvignon at the Cowra Wine Show in 2016
- 94 points, James Halliday
- 94 points, Mike Bennie
- 94 points, Gary Walsh
- "Rustic charm in spades. Bold flavoured but in that wonderful lunchtime claret mould."
- Bruce and Malcolm Redman